[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA - Performance/issues versus postfix delivery? Also, installing on OS X?

Dean Blackburn dean.blackburn at viz.com
Thu Apr 27 09:24:48 EEST 2006

Can anyone give me an idea of whether or not dovecot-lda can solve the
following issue: We seem to have constantly-corrupting dovecot* files
for people who fit one (or more) of the following categories:

1) 1000+ message inboxes;
2) multiple clients simultaneously checking mail;
3) people receiving a lot of mail, and/or the server receiving and
trying to deliver a single message to all users at once

We're using straight postfix maildir delivery, and while the mail keeps
coming, we start to see a lot of "temp.xxxx.xxxx.xxx" type lockfiles
build up after any inconsistencies appear in the Inbox indexes, and
clients start to report timeouts and/or crash as a result. Would
switching to LDA by itself resolve this issue (on the argument that
delivery would ALSO update the indexes every time), or is there some
more fundamental issue we are having that is causing the inconsistency
to arise?

On a related note: I noticed the darwinports version of 1.0beta7 does
not include the code for dovecot-lda... Does anyone have experience
setting this up?

Thanks!

-deano