[Dovecot] Deleted email does not appear in the Trash folder

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Aug 3 16:18:51 EEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:58:57PM +0300, Odhiambo WASHINGTON wrote:
> * On 03/08/06 11:44 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> | Hi all
> |
> | I seem to have this problem whereby if I delete an email, then the deleted
> | email does not appear in the Trash folder.
> |
> | I tried setting dovecot mail_debug = yes, but I find in syslog, mail.log
> | etc that there is very limited information.
> |
> | If anyone could assit, I would be most greatful.
>

> Brent,
>
> Could you please try rc5 that was released last night and report back if
> the problem with Thunderbird still exists?
>
> BTW, I don't understand why people still use mbox format :-(
> Sorry, I know this might result in flames, but I'd appreciate any good
> reasons to use mbox, especially a RTFM, if possible.

I'm not a serious Dovecot user but I am a serious mail user.  I've
been using mutt as my MUA for several years (probably ten years or
so).  Over those years I have two or three times persuaded myself that
maildir would be better than mbox for my received mail, each time I
have stayed with maildir for a few weeks or months and then have
decided that the disadvantages (for a user) outweigh the advantages
(for the developer and/or sysadmin).

There are a number of issues with maildir that eventually make me
leave it:-

    It's not so easy to manually traverse a maildir hierarchy and/or
    manually search for text in messages.  OK, I know there are tools
    to do it but I often end up writing custom scripts to do things
    and mbox is just much easier to deal with.  (for a start, if using
    grep, I get a sensible name with mbox, junk with maildir)

    In mutt at least I get much more meaningful information about
    maibox size when using mbox than when using maildir.

    Different MUAs seem to have more trouble working 'cooperatively'
    when using maildir.

    This is sort of mixed up with IMAP, but still ....
    The inconsistent use of '/' and '.' directory (well, pseudo
    directory) delimiters between different implementations. Who ever
    thought of using '.' and creating all mailboxes at the same level
    with longer and longer names should be shot!  It makes all sorts
    of things that expect real directories totally broken.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)