[Dovecot] Dovecot imap with Postfix and using Thunderbird as client

Shawn Needham shawn at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 9 01:18:45 EEST 2006

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of the mysterious fix to this problem that
Curtis describes in his followup:
"I vaguely remember something like this, but I don't recall the fix"

I recently installed dovecot on a server running RHEL4-AS-U2 and have updated
to RHEL latest dovecot package, dovecot-0.99.11-2.EL4.1.

Seeing as this is close to the version Curtis is running (dovecot-0.99.14) I
was wondering if anyone had some insights.

There seems to be a Thunderbird specific problem when trying to retrieve
messages from the server. Other imap clients (Mac OSX Mail, squirrelmail, etc)
don't experience this problem, however Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 experiences it on
Linux, Mac OSX and Windows boxes.

In thunderbird, new messages don't reliably appear and the retrieval button
doesn't work when new mail is present. Clicking on an email which isn't cached
retrieves new ones as well as waiting around an hour to retrieve messages.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Shawn