[Dovecot] SSL hangs? Try this

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Aug 9 18:14:18 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 10:54 -0400, Brad wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 04:32:47PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 05:48:08PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > > Now I'm suspecting it is a totally different problem: the default polling
> > > method changed in rc2.  I think I was having the "stale imap processes"
> > > problem, mentioned elsewhere on this list, and that was causing timeouts
> > > for clients connecting after the process limit was hit.  I'll recompile
> > > dovecot 1.0rc6 with --with-ioloop=kqueue, as suggested elsewhere on this
> > > list, and try again.  I should have mentioned I'm using NetBSD...
> >
> > --with-ioloop=kqueue (actually, --with-ioloop=best) seems to have solved
> > the problem for me!
> >
> > So I have added --with-ioloop=best to NetBSD's pkgsrc package for dovecot.
> >
> > Why isn't --with-ioloop=best the default btw?  I have seen complaints from
> > (Free|Open)BSD users on this list, they have all used --with-ioloop=kqueue
> > to solve their problem.
> >
> > 	Geert
>
> Because it is a workaround instead of a proper fix. Using kqueue does not solve
> the problem in all cases either.

I'm on FreeBSD, I followed John Wong's suggestion, and did
--with-notify=pool   - which I think was a typo equivalent to 'none',
but I have no file notification method now.  Where before it was kqueue.
This seems to work fine for me.

So unless I missed some posts, maybe the question is:  How did the file
notification get to be kqueue, when my I/O loop was poll, and the
defaults for notify are either dnotify or none?

Rick