[Dovecot] Feature request - Reduced View

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Thu Aug 10 17:52:10 EEST 2006

I was looking at sylpheed last night, but then I began to think more
about the basic problem. There are two characteristics:

1) The sliding window or Reduced View is only for one viewer. I use
several mail viewers (MUA) in the course of a day.

2) I don't ever want to download headers for all my mail to the Reduced
View MUA. However, on other viewers, I do want to see all my mail.
(Depends on the power of the underlying viewer machine. Pocket sized arm
device is different from dual Xeon 3GB)

These requirements seem to indicate that some involvement is necessary
on the server side. I have downloaded the IMAP protocol document
(66pages) and have printed out 8 pages (index +) to see what IMAP gives
me on this project.

-------

However, I do really like your cron job idea. It could be invoked just
after each fetchmail from my ISP. Maybe hacking fetchmail to duplicate
new mail into a second username. Then run cron to delete older mail from
this second username. Point Reduced View MUA to this second username.

Need to encourage the MUA to toss headers that are old too.

Goes along with KISS principle.

Bob G