[Dovecot] Newbie Questration

Yudhvir Singh Sidhu ysidhu at ucdiscoverygrant.org
Thu Aug 10 18:25:55 EEST 2006

Actually, it is a frustration: The client does not work, have tried Opera
mail and Outlook, to receive mail. the client can send, but not receive. I
know the mail is sitting in the user account Maildir ready to be picked
up. Dovecot "compiles" fine. What am I doing wrong? Someone please help
me, I know it is something simple. I have racked the net trying to find a
solution, but no 2 mail setups are the same. My setup is the simplest I
can make it.

I have  Postfix and Dovecot installed on Linux. All recent versions. Plain
text authentication off shadow passwords and login user accounts. Mail is
configured as Maildir, IMAP. As you can see below, I have turned logs on
and there is nothing in them that shows an error. I am on a real static IP
behind a firewall. I have opened the SMTP and IMAP ports. BTW, Postfix can
send and receive local and outside. IMAP does not work to/fro outside or
locally.

I have also logged into Dovecot like so:

telnet localhost imap
1 login test testing
2 select INBOX

It lets me login and I have tried it with root, which it rejects and with
another account which works. It selects the INBOX and I hit the return key
multiple times to exit because I don't know what else to type. So, it
looks like it is authenticating.

Postfix is working fine, it can send and receive mail both locally and the
outside world. It puts the messages in the Maildir directories as it is
supposed to.

Here is my dovecot.conf file:

protocols = imap imaps

listen = *
ssl_listen = *
ssl_disable = no

ssl_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_parameters_regenerate = 168

log_path = /var/log/dovecot
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.info

verbose_ssl = yes

protocol imap {
}
auth_verbose = yes

auth default {
   # Space separated list of wanted authentication mechanisms:
   #   plain login digest-md5 cram-md5 ntlm rpa apop anonymous gssapi
   mechanisms = plain login
   userdb passwd {
   }
   passdb shadow {