[Dovecot] Dovecot under daemontools

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 20:33:00 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 11:23 -0500, Rick Romero wrote:
> > > 1. The whole *BSD poll/kqueue issue.  From what configure says, kqueue
> > > shouldn't ever show up.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by this.
>
> Just to restate myself - I'm really loving dovecot, it just flies :)
>
> Well the way I read configure --help is this:
>
> --with-ioloop=IOLOOP    Specify the I/O loop method to use
>                           (epoll, kqueue, poll; best for the fastest
> 			available;
> 	                   default is poll)
>   --with-notify=IOLOOP    Specify the file system notification method to
> 			 use
>                           (dnotify, inotify, kqueue, none;
>                            default dnotify if compilable, otherwise
> 			 none)
>
> If I don't specify anything, I should get 'poll' and 'dnotify' - if
> FreeBSD supports it - or 'none', respectively.
> On my FreeBSD box, I get kqueue and kqueue.

If you didn't use the port, then it really should have used poll. In
1.0rc1 version it could have used kqueue, but I don't see why it would
happen with newer rcs.

Notify's description is wrong though. It uses inotify -> kqueue ->
dnotify -> none ordering by default.

> > > 2. POP?  It gets compiled in automatically, yet doesn't start.  Doesn't
> > > bother me, as I'm just using IMAP, but it doesn't seem logical.  If POP
> > > doesn't start by default, I wouldn't think it would be compiled in by
> > > default.
> >
> > Well, I think compiling and using by default are different things.
> > Compiling everything by default doesn't really hurt anything, but using
> > all of them by default does.
>
> The only reason I suggested selective compiling is to help with the
> config file.  It has so much to it, if you were able to reduce the
> 'unnecessary' bits based on the configure line, it wouldn't be so
> overwhelming.  Look at the last post where the user had about 12 'real'
> lines to his config file.   My modified one (comments and extra stuff
> left in there) is 1000 lines.  I bet for a 'vpopmail/maildir' setup, it
> could be under 100 and still be descriptive.

I think most of the parts that can be compiled off don't take all that
much space in the config file. Here's the config file split that I was
thinking about, probably missing some of the latest changes:

http://dovecot.org/tmp/newconf/

The dovecot-example.conf should also contain some include-directives for
the other files.