[Dovecot] Summerising users subfolders imap logs?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 10 22:25:26 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 16:23 +0300, Sysadmin wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Migrating from pop3 to imap I have now situation, that every user has a
> lot sub folders, for example 100 sub folders and now every mail check
> writes in the mail log also login/logout log for every sub folder:
>
> dovecot: Jul 11 16:16:31 Info: imap-login: Login: anti, [192.168.20.1],
> PLAIN, TLS
> dovecot: Jul 11 16:16:31 Info: IMAP(anti): Disconnected in IDLE

What client is doing this? Either it's a bug in the client or the client
is behaving in a really stupid way. There's no point in creating a new
connection for each mailbox.

> etc. So maillogs are full thiskind of stuff. But as I cant see here
> which subfolder the user access, so is it possible to summerise somehow
> this per users mass logging witth one row, something like:
>
> imap-login: Login: anti, [192.168.20.1], PLAIN, TLS, accessed 100 folders,

Not really practical, as they are separate processes that are writing
those log messages. You should rather look into fixing the client.

> Btw - isn't this massive log writing a very big performance loss?

It's nothing compared to everything else that has to be done when
creating the connection.