[Dovecot] stale imap processes with 1.0.rc6 on FreeBSD

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Aug 11 01:40:35 EEST 2006

Was running dovecot-1.0.rc2 but many stale imap processes (only one user
of IMAP).

Switched to dovecot-1.0.rc6 but problem continued.

This is on FreeBSD 4 something. Maybe it has  bug with kqueue??

I read messages about the stale imap processes on the list. It seems to
hit *BSD systems. But email about new release candidate indicated it
should be fixed.

I read on the pkgsrc commit list about --with-ioloop=best

So I configured with that and saw that the I/O loop method is now kqueue.
(I saved configure output and it was poll before).

But the stale imap processes problem continues.

For one user over past couple hours I have eight imap processes in "I"
state.

I have:

File offsets ........................ : 64bit
I/O loop method ..................... : kqueue
File change notification method ..... : kqueue
Building with SSL support ........... : yes (OpenSSL)
Building with IPv6 support .......... : yes
Building with pop3 server ........... : yes
Building with mail delivery agent  .. : yes
Building with GSSAPI support ........ : no
Building with user database modules . : static prefetch passwd passwd-file
checkpassword (modules)
Building with password lookup modules : passwd passwd-file pam
checkpassword (modules)
Building with SQL drivers ............:

And I have:

protocols = imap pop3
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = outlook-idle delay-newmail
}

(Just started using delay-newmail today.)

My maillogs don't show any problems.

The IMAP user tells me that Outlook says it has reset connections often.

I see multiple imap-login Login within a few minutes for this same user
who said received a connection reset in outlook at the same time.

Just received a screenshot that said:

    Microsoft Office Outlook

    Failed to update headers.

    The TCP/IP connection unexpectedly terminated by the server.

Then also received an error (in Outlook I think), like:

    imap session idle too long, connection reset

(I don't have or use Outlook myself so can't test myself.)

It is used for a lot of pop3 and seems fine with that. (It uses stunnel
for pop3s but not imaps for over a week to eliminate stunnel from our
troubleshooting).

Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Jeremy C. Reed