[Dovecot] RC7: its issues or mine?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 18:13:57 EEST 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:58 +0100, David Lee wrote:
> > 2. We have some Pine usage in our UNIX cluster.  Historically this has
> > taken advantage of the Pine "rsh mailmachine /etc/rimapd" ability to avoid
> > the need for the password: pre-authentication etc.  (Yes, we realise that
> > 'rsh' has security issues.)  But when I try making symlink "/etc/rimapd"
> > point to "/usr/dovecot/sbin/dovecot" this fails:
>
> "dovecot --exec-mail imap" is the correct way to do this.

(Sorry for delay in replying: other things in the way for a few days.)

Many thanks for that hint.  That seems to work nicely.

With uw-imap, "/etc/rimapd" is usually a symlink to imapd.  But with
dovecot, because of those extra arguments ("--exec-mail imap"), I ended up
make "/etc/rimapd" a tiny shell fragment:

   #! /bin/sh
   exec /usr/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap

(The slightly unusual directory path is a purely local thing here...)

Is it in the WIKI?  If not, can it be put in?  By you?  me?  a.n.other?

> > 3. I was developing and testing this here at work using an account that I
> > mostly use from home using Outlook Express.  I was very careful (I think!)
> > only to use the read-only "examine INBOX" command (not "select INBOX").
> > When I went home and tried it as usual (connecting to our production
> > Washington IMAP service reading that INBOX).  But OE showed all the email
> > (including previously read) as "unread" (closed envelope icon).  It seems
> > that dovecot has done something to the message headers (even under
> > "examine") that has worried OE.  Any thoughts?
>
> Not really.. Examine command does change the mbox headers (just as it
> does with UW-IMAP), but the changes should be fully compatible with
> UW-IMAP. The message is "unread" if it doesn't have "Status: R" header.
> Dovecot really shouldn't be removing any of those.

Well, it didn't reproduce.  Let's put this to one side for the moment with
possible "pilot error".  (I haven't got my dovecot wings yet!)

Many thanks.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :