[Dovecot] Enabling different quota limits for different users for /etc/passwd as userdatabase on FC3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 4 13:49:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 17:58 +0530, ankush grover wrote:
> hey friends,
>
>  I am running my company's mail server on FC3 which comprises of
> Postfix + Dovecot + MailScanner + Clamav + Squirrelmail + MailWatch +
> Spamassassin. I am using Dovecot 0.99.13-3 version on FC3 and I want
> to implement Quota limits for the users.

First of all you can't use quota with 0.99.x Dovecot. You'll need to use
a recent 1.0rc release.

> I am using userdatabase as /etc/passwd file (auth_userdb = passwd )
> and password database as pam(auth_passdb = pam) for dovecot. I read
> the documentation of dovecot but the quota example for /etc/passwd is
> missing.

It's missing, because there's no way to add extra information
for /etc/passwd without breaking other software that reads it. You'd
pretty much have to use userdb passwd-file, and create a copy of
your /etc/passwd to some passwd.imap and add the quota stuff there.

Well, except I suppose you could also change mail_executable to a script
which sets QUOTA-environment (you can figure out where it gets the
user's quota) before executing imap.