[Dovecot] Performance Tuning Recommendations for Dovecot

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Mon Dec 4 17:21:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has some performance tuning recommendations for
Dovecot. We are currently building a series of department e-mail/imap
servers and we will be replacing our central core in the coming summer.
The department servers are relatively small 100-200 users and the
central server is modest - around 7000 accounts. They will be using
local filesystem or SAN for the backend storage.

So far, enabling hard links seems to be a big win. I'm curious if there
are others out there that people have found useful.  I am considering
putting the indexes on memory disks but I haven't scoped out the
requirements for the central system yet (i.e. it is unclear to me how
large the index will be for approximately 13 million messages take take
up roughly 800GB of disk space.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

---Jack Stewart