[Dovecot] Pre-rev1 compatibility

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Dec 6 12:35:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 06:05, Dirk Essl wrote:
> Yes, I would appreciate that, I still have some users running dtmail
> and other 'old' mail clients, therefore I cannot migrate these users to
> the new system, and they don't want to use any other client...

My general policy is that in some cases, the user is *not* right.  An IT
department cannot rationally be required to continue to support obsolete
applications when there are supported and modern alternatives.  Face it,
choice of email client for a small subset of your users is not a business
critical application that needs to be supported forever like it was some
absolutely essential piece of 1960's era COBOL code.

Perhaps it is time to either fix these obsolete mail clients yourself to
be compatible with current protocols, or stop supporting them, as their
development teams abandoned them long ago.  I don't believe obsolete
functionality (pre RFC or deprecated IMAP RFC's) belongs in dovecot imap.

Regards,

   - Brian