[Dovecot] Pre-rev1 compatibility

Sean Kamath kamath at geekoids.com
Thu Dec 7 06:50:14 UTC 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Dirk Essl wrote:
> And I can really not understand how someone can use dtmail or exmh
> (Oh, I don't want to flame here) if we have nice applications like
> Thunderbird or Apple mail...

OK, I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but whilst I'm
attending LISA in Washington DC right now, this sort of came up with
some people I was talking to a few hours ago.  One guy uses pine, one
elm, one mail (yes, /bin/mail), and I use exmh (well, until recently,
and I can't WAIT to get back to it from Apple Mail (yes, Apple Mail
is *nice*, but a) it's kinda b0rken, and b) it's kinda slow).  Many
(Most?  Certainly old-schoold) SysAdmin's don't use these
"newfangled" mail readers because it blows to grep mail out of .mbx
or whatever format thunderbird uses -- and you may be on a dumb
terminal trying to find that piece of mail with the critical
information.

So, there really are reasons people stick with older mail clients.
Is all the user's cached dtmail (by "cache" I mean "local mail
folders") importable into Thunderbird?  What if you live under a
quota?  You can't keep it all on the IMAP server.

Now, I'm fine with saying the older mail clients should be updated.
But sometimes it's just not possible.  Then again, maybe the dtmail
client software is part of OpenSolaris of the Solaris 8 Community
Source.  Frankly, I don't know or care.  So tell us that our mail
clients need to meet the current standards.  But don't tell us what
to use.

Thank you.

Good night.

Sean

PS And "Be generous in what you accept, strict in what you send" is a
VERY good motto.