[Dovecot] default_mail_env/mail_location syntax changes

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Wed Dec 6 23:39:01 UTC 2006

Sorry, I tried to find this info on the wiki and in the docs, but
couldn't quite figure it out.

Dovecot 1.0rc8 introduced this change:
    "mbox:/var/mail/%u" no longer works as the mail location.
    You'll have to specify the mail root explicitly, just like
    the examples always have: "mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u"

If I need a custom INBOX location but the default behavior of
using the first of [/ or ~/mail or ~/Mail] having a .imap subdirectory,
how do I go about specifying that?

That is, on my system,

- inbox file: ~/Mailbox
- mail storage dir: ~/mail OR ~/Mail (it varies by user)
- all files are in mbox format

Thanks,
Mike