[Dovecot] Slightly off topic question but ...

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Sun Dec 10 22:20:06 UTC 2006

I'm using files for passwords that look like the unix passwd and shadow
files, except each domain has it's own pair of shadow and password files
for that domain. And dovecot works fine with that.

So - here's my off topic question. I'm trying to create a PHP interface
to allow user to change their password in these passwd / shadow file
combos. What kind of encryption do they use and specifically what PHP
command would I use to encrypt a password like the shadow file has?

Thanks in advance.