[Dovecot] Dovecot "open files" (again?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Dec 16 02:04:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 10:05 -0600, falz wrote:
> I'm using quotas, and by default had it set to 'dirsize'. my postfix
> is already creating 'maildirsize' files, so I opted to change dovecot
> to use this instead.
>
> However, when I do, I run into the "too many open files" issue that's
> been reported many times on the list.

So you tried something like "quota=maildir:storage=123456"?

> Anyhow. I doubled my max open files in FreeBSD's /boot/loader.conf to:
> kern.maxfiles="24656", but to no avail. When I have it set to
> maildirsize, the open files on the system grows uncontrollably.

How quickly? By doing what exactly? Just logging in, opening a mailbox,
saving a new mail, ..?

> Any thoughts? TSS, you mention a few times in these notes that you're
> unable to reproduce this. Perhaps try with the maildir as quota?

The previous problems seemed to have been only with NetBSD 2.0 and
kqueue enabled, and I think it's a NetBSD bug.

I looked through the maildir quota code, and I do actually see one fd
leak in there, but it happens only when deinitializing the quota, so
practically it doesn't matter.

You sent a lsof of the dovecot process, but assuming you hadn't dropped
out thousands of lines from it, it probably wasn't the problematic
process. Quota code is handled by imap process, so check that instead,
and check also that lsof is returning thousands of lines. If it isn't,
then it's something else that's eating the fds..