[Dovecot] email message size limit

Fred Bauer fred at fredbauer.com
Thu Dec 21 23:05:08 UTC 2006

So ... an update on this problem. I checked my facts again and it turns
out that Thunderbird rather than dovecot support for large file
attachments on IMAP servers is iffy. Here are a collection of URLs for
those interested in reading further:

http://www.hawkwings.net/2005/12/30/thunderbird-imap-bugs/
http://bleedingedge.com.au/blog/archives/2005/11/speeding_thunderbird.html
http://bleedingedge.com.au/blog/archives/2005/11/making_thunderbird_fly.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=thunderbird+large+imap+bug&hl=en&lr=&start=20&sa=N
<http://www.google.com/search?q=thunderbird+large+imap+bug&hl=en&lr=&start=20&sa=N>

http://blog.fastmail.fm/?p=527

Note that the fixes mention in these articles are only partial fixes ...
at least in my case.

The bug is that while large email messages do arrive and get stored,
moving them between folders using Thunderbird results in a nasty
infinite loop where a substation chunk of the file gets copied over and
over again into a Maildir/tmp directory, eating time and disk space. I
was initially suspicious of dovecot because I kept getting dovecot
errors when moving large files onto the IMAP server. Removing the qmail
message size limit only solved part of the problem.

I can reproduce this bug using qmail as the MTA, dovecot as the IMAP
server over Maildir directories, and Thunderbird as the email
client.Using the dovecot "hardlinks" option solves the problem when
moving messages between directories in the same account, but not between
accounts or across machines. A close reading of the relevant websites
shows that 1) people in the Thunderbird community are already painfully
aware of this problem and 2) there really aren't any better alternative
email clients. Here's hoping there's a Thunderbird fix soon.

Interesting, eh? Fred