[Dovecot] Assertion failed

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 22 21:40:26 UTC 2006

On 21.12.2006, at 23.58, Steven F Siirila wrote:

> We have been running 1.0-rc15 for some time on a very small set of
> users.
> We recently have increased the user population and just ran into a
> problem
> with one user.  That user is using a client we apparently had not
> tested
> yet and is causing us to get these errors in the logs:
>
> [Host name, IP address, and user name are not real]
>
> Dec 21 15:23:00 [hostname] dovecot: imap-login: Login:
> user=<username>, method=PLAIN, rip=10.10.10.10, lip=10.10.10.11, TLS
> Dec 21 15:23:00 [hostname] dovecot: IMAP(username): file
> strfuncs.c: line 151 (p_strdup_until): assertion failed: ((const
> char *) start <= (const char *) end)
> Dec 21 15:23:00 [hostname] dovecot: child 7151 (imap) killed with
> signal 6

Could you get gdb backtrace? Otherwise it's pretty difficult to find
out what causes this. See http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

Also in CVS/nightly snapshots Dovecot nowadays logs the backtrace
(http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-November/017682.html). I think
I should find some way to make this easier for users to get a proper
backtrace out of it, otherwise we'll start seeing a lot of backtraces
in this list with only those numeric addresses, which doesn't help at
all..