[Dovecot] Hebrew folder names

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 21:36:28 UTC 2006

On 26/12/06, Magnus Holmgren <holmgren at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> On Monday 25 December 2006 22:39, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm considering Dovecot for an IMAP server. Can I name the IMAP
> > folders in Hebrew (utf-8) with Dovecot? Any known gotchas? Thanks in
> > advance.
>
> Yes and no. Unicode folder names can be represented, but they have to be
> encoded in modified UTF-7, as specified in RFC 2060 § 5.1.3 (except that the
> hierarchy separator is always "." on disk), both on the wire and on disk.
>
> --
> Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
>                        (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Thanks Magnus. I'm not sure that utf-7 supports Hebrew, as I've never
heard of it. I just read http://rfc.net/rfc2060.html however it is
very difficult for me to understand any of it. What must I do to make
"yes and no" be only "yes"? :)

Also, I've seen that some MUAs (such as Thunderbird) use the slash
instead of the dot  as the seperator. Will this be a problem in
Dovecot if I decide to try out Thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/text_editor.html
http://dotancohen.com/terriblereferrer/index.php