[Dovecot] Hebrew folder names

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 22:10:51 UTC 2006

On 27/12/06, Magnus Holmgren <holmgren at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> UTF-7, like UTF-8 and UTF-16, encodes all of the Unicode repertoire. You don't
> need to understand RFC 2060 completely unless you're going to write your own
> IMAP-compatible software. What I meant by "yes and no" was that you can't use
> UTF-8-encoded folder names as arguments to maildirmake or deliver, or in
> Sieve scripts - you have to use a MUA (such as Thunderbird) or other program
> that can encode the folder name properly.

Ah, I personally cannot, but Tbird or Kmail can. That's the way that I
was planning on doing it anyway. Excellent.

> > Also, I've seen that some MUAs (such as Thunderbird) use the slash
> > instead of the dot  as the seperator. Will this be a problem in
> > Dovecot if I decide to try out Thunderbird?
>
> Thunderbird will use the separator that the IMAP server tells it to when
> talking to the IMAP server. However, Dovecot doesn't encode slashes or dots
> in any special way, so neither can be used in folder names regardless of
> wether slash or dot is the separator.
>
> (If "/" is the separator and you try to create a folder called "Foo.Bar",
> Dovecot will (with a common configuration) create ~/Maildir/.Foo.Bar, which
> looks like a folder Foo with a subfolder Bar. If the separator is "." and you
> try to create a folder called "Foo/Bar", then Dovecot will or will not try to
> create ~/Maildir/.Foo/Bar, which in any case won't work.)

Although we are guilty of using spaces in file and folder names (and
thus not upsetting the delicate wife/linux balance of my household),
we know better than to use slashes, dots, dollar signs and the like.
But thank you fro the warning, we will be careful.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/281/joel_billy.php
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/webpage.html