[Dovecot] Question about Dovecot and NFS

Tony Kay tkay at uoregon.edu
Thu Feb 2 21:26:09 EET 2006

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:48:02 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> -- SNIP --
> As long as both hosts keep using dotlocking, Dovecot should be able to
> handle the above without any corruption problems.
>
> > I did some testing w/dovecot 0.99 earlier in this same config,
>
> Forget those results and try with 1.0beta instead :)

I ran tests on 1.0b2. I could _not_ make dovecot misbehave on NFS w/two physical servers accessing the same mailbox. All of the "undesirable" things that happened (i.e. really poorly written clients suffering strange views of the mailbox due to their own stupidity) were well within IMAP spec., and are non-destructive/lossy.

Kudos Timo! Thanks for writing some really excellent code.

--
Anthony Kay
University Computing Center

The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own.

    Susan Sontag