[Dovecot] vpopmail authentification broken in dovecot 1.0beta

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Feb 5 14:03:48 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 14:53 +0200, daniel petre wrote:
> and since dovecot-0.99.14-r1 authentification doesnt work no more.
> i posted something similar with dovecot-1.0_alpha5 but all the answers
> i got were like "it isnt dovecot's fault, its vpopmails".
> bummer, my vpopmail did not changed , but dovecot versions yes.
>
> so i think dovecot is broken with vpopmail auth.

vpopmail auth works for some people, so it's not completely broken. It's
possible that 1.0beta does something differently than 0.99.x which
breaks it for you.

> dovecot: Jan 31 14:51:28 Error: auth(default): vmysql: sql error[3]:
> MySQL server has gone away

But I don't know what I could do for this in Dovecot's side. It clearly
happens in vpopmail's side, so it would require debugging vpopmail code
as well.

Wouldn't it also work if you just made Dovecot directly authenticate
with mysql, and just changed the SQL queries so that they would be
compatible with vpopmail's database?