[Dovecot] Simulating UW Snarf...

Todd Piket todd at mtu.edu
Wed Feb 8 21:18:06 EET 2006

I already wrote to Timo, but I thought some others on this list may have
had a similar situation.  So here goes:

The scenario at Michigan Technological University stems from long
standing traditions and policies that probably won't change.  That said,
two of the policies are 1.)we don't bounce mail and 2.)we guarantee
delivery when we accept a piece of mail.  The UW IMAP "snarf" capability
was nice because it allowed us to introduce file system, per user quotas
w/o worrying about the "INBOX" in an over quota situation.  This is
because the user could still read mail.  The delivered mail would get
"snarfed" from /var/mail/user when the user went back under quota.

In our test cases with switching to Maildir with Dovecot, we deliver
directly to the user's INBOX instead of /var/mail/user so what do we do
when the user is over quota because we can't bounce the mail?

After many lengthy discussions our thought was this.  Could we
symbolically link the user's "Maildir/new" to a non-quota file system
such that the move from "new" to "cur" would fail if the user is over
quota?  What will Dovecot do in that failure situation?  Do you have
other suggestions?  I would be more than willing to develop a patch that
makes this an option in the config file.  Probably similar to allowing
the indexes and control files be on a non-quota file system.  Again, it
would only allow "Maildir/new" to be on a separate file system, not the
whole "INBOX".  I hope this conveys the idea well enough.

Any thoughts or ideas the list provides would be greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,