[Dovecot] Dovecot stops logging of imap logins after logrotation

Gerhard Hofmann gerhard.hofmann at planat.de
Thu Feb 9 13:29:09 EET 2006

Hi list,

on my Debian box there is a logrotation cron job that will gzip existing
/var/log/mail.log file and create a new mail.log.

It seems that after running logrotation dovecot stops logging successful
POP or IMAP logins to /var/log/mail.log (nevertheless, it still works to
login with POP or SMTP).

This is bad because pop-before-smtp mechanisms also stop working.

I have deactivated logrotation cron job and will monitor mail.log file.

Maybe I should just run
   /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
after logrotation script.

What do you think?