[Dovecot] epoll error when running as proxy

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Thu Feb 9 23:32:07 EET 2006

I am running dovecot 1.0 beta3 as a front-end proxy, and getting the
following error when using epoll.  The error goes away if I switch to
poll.  On the backend IMAP server I see that the login was successful.
The error occurs when I try to retrieve an email or get a folder listing
via IMAP after logging in successfully...

Feb  9 15:35:57 director4 dovecot: imap-login: proxy(bboebel at webmail.us):
started: user=<bboebel at webmail.us>, method=plain, rip=204.119.252.7,
lip=192.168.1.68
Feb  9 15:09:50 director4 dovecot: imap-login: io_loop_handle_add:
epoll_ctl(op=3, fd=10, ret=-1, errno=2): No such file or directory
Feb  9 14:58:23 director4 dovecot: child 9688 (login) returned error 89

I can't find anything in the mailing list archives about this error, so
here are some details.  I hope somebody can point me in the right
direction to fix this.

- I am running this on Red Hat ES4 (32-bit x86), compiling with the
following options:

./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --with-ssldir=/usr/share/ssl \
  --disable-ipv6 \
  --with-file-offset-size=32 \
  --with-mem-align=4 \
  --with-ioloop=epoll \
  --without-passwd \
  --without-passwd-file \
  --without-shadow \
  --without-pam \
  --without-checkpassword \
  --without-bsdauth \
  --without-gssapi \
  --with-ldap \
  --without-vpopmail \
  --with-static-userdb \
  --with-prefetch-userdb \
  --without-pgsql \
  --with-mysql \
  --without-sqlite \
  --without-ssl \
  --with-storages=maildir

- I have also complied with these options and got the same error:

./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --with-ioloop=epoll \
  --with-mysql

- I have also tried the latest CSV snapshot (dovecot-20060209.tar.gz) and
1.0 beta2, and I get the same error.

- If I switch to poll instead of epoll, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Bill