[Dovecot] Dovecot stops logging of imap logins after logrotation

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Feb 10 00:35:12 EET 2006

Gerhard Hofmann wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> on my Debian box there is a logrotation cron job that will gzip existing
> /var/log/mail.log file and create a new mail.log.
>
> It seems that after running logrotation dovecot stops logging successful
> POP or IMAP logins to /var/log/mail.log (nevertheless, it still works to
> login with POP or SMTP).

Most likely Dovecot is still holding onto the file.  Sensible log rotation
leaves the most recently rotated log uncompressed, in case the daemon is still
holding a file descriptor.  Most programs (Dovecot included) allow you to send
them a signal to tell them to release the log files.

> Maybe I should just run
>   /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
> after logrotation script.
>
> What do you think?

I think someone else has already pointed out a SIGHUP should be enough.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net