[Dovecot] no protocols inhibits dovecot --exec-mail

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sat Feb 11 16:55:49 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 15:30 +0100, Marcus Rueckert wrote:

> err... you just reported that you _have_to_ set the protocols. so i dont
> get your point. if the service is disabled ... why should the debian
> init script care about the config at all? if you dont want any listening
> just dont start it. or do i miss anything here?

right.

> i just double checked it. with a valid config you dont need a running
> dovecot for using "/usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap". so why make it
> more complicated than needed?

right.

Ok see, the point is the following:
 * debian implements not starting the service when protocols is empty
 * I want to not start the service, and use --exec-mail

so my question here is: why is --exec-mail prohibited with protocols
empty, when this doesn't stop anything anyway, since users could just as
well start /path/to/imap with an appropriate environment?

The debian package implements not starting the service when protocols is
empty for convenience... Sure, I could just inhibit starting the service
manually, if there's a reason to prohibit --exec-mail with empty
protocols. If there's no reason, well, I'd like to use debian's
convenience facilities :)

johannes