[Dovecot] no protocols inhibits dovecot --exec-mail

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Sun Feb 12 15:50:21 EET 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Johannes Berg wrote:

> yeah but the maintainer must have followed some plan when making the
> package not start the master process when protocols is unset...

the reason is both the init script and the master dovecot binary are in
the dovecot-common package while the imap and pop3 programs are in
dovecot-imapd and dovecot-pop3d respectively.  It is those packages which
add the relevant bits to the protocols line.

If the protocols line is empty, it means neither dovecot-imapd or
dovecot-pop3d are installed in which case you don't want dovecot to start.

I admit I hadn't thought about your use case.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>