[Dovecot] Re: New mail sometimes fails to appear

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 14 19:15:15 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 19:04 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 18:06 +0200, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > > BTW. your hostnames aren't same in the different machines, right?
> > > And there's no other weirdness that prevents one process from seeing
> > > another? Because if Dovecot thinks that the process which has created
> > > the dotlock doesn't exist, it overrides the dotlock immediately.
> >
> > No, there is nothing special of this kind.  All hosts have unique
> > hostnames, and all processes see all other processes on the server.
>
> What kind of dotlock files does exim create? Dovecot stores inside them
> "pid:hostname". I guess it's possible that if Exim also writes something
> inside them, Dovecot might interpret it wrong..

Hmm. I just looked Exim's sources. Looks like it creates the file with
empty contents. Also Dovecot has pretty strict checks in its contents,
so probably isn't related to this.

Anyway, if the lock files do work properly (and I tested it today that
it works at least with me with Linux and NFS), then I can't really think
of anything else than some file caching issue.. Is it possible for you
to try this with all NFS caching disabled? I'm not exactly sure how
FreeBSD's NFS caching works though..