[Dovecot] NFS Stale File Handles on Indexes

Tony Kay tkay at uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 15 21:54:14 EET 2006

The configuration files has settings that seem to address the issues of using indexes on NFS (i.e. locking and mmap fixes), but we are using Dovecot on NFS, and when the load gets high we start to see a lot of NFS stale file handle errors, particularly with MS clients like Outlook.

I see the discussion about these errors from last year. Any updates on the state of the code? Should we be using in-memory or local indexes instead for now?

- Dovecot 1.0b3
- four physical IMAP servers
- mbox format accounts on NFS netapps
- currently allowing NFS indexes w/mmap disabled, and using dotlocks

--
Anthony Kay
University Computing Center

  Perfection uncanned
Like a beautiful redhead
 Fresh from her trailer

        from Spam-Ku : Tranquil Reflections on Luncheon Loaf
             by John Cho