[Dovecot] Authentication failing - Ant Internet Suite (Risc-OS)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Feb 17 12:44:12 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 16:42 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> Switched to using dovecot for POP3, PLAIN login.
>
> One client with "Ant Internet Suite" can't use the service with this client,
> he used the same setting with another email client and it worked.
>
> On inspection of the packets, it is sending one packet with;
>
> "user username\r\npass password\r\nstat\r\n"
>
> Dovecot sends an "-ERR Unknown command", then a "+OK Logged in".
>
> I'm wondering if things got out of sequence here, since a "STAT" to dovecot
> before authentication causes the "Unknown command" error. "STAT" isn't
> allowed in the authentication stage... but well it issued it last....

Hmm. I knew about this problem, but I had hoped no client actually did
this. Looks like POP3 spec doesn't forbid it, so guess I should fix it
then.

The problem is that pop3-login handles user/pass commands, but the stat
command should be handled by pop3 process. Since pop3-login reads the
stat command, it should pass it on to pop3 process, but it doesn't do
that.

And looks like there's also a bug because the stat command is handled by
pop3-login, causing the "unknown command" error. It should have just
ignored it since user was already logged in.