[Dovecot] Login processes don't die

Jürgen Herz jherz at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 17 15:30:50 EET 2006

Hello,

I'm a fresh dovecot user (resp. admin), using dovecot 0.99.14 (a little
old, but that's what Debian Sarge provides).
In general everything works as it should, but there's something that
makes me wonder.

The wiki says "By default each login process will handle only a single
connection and afterwards kill itself." But it does look different to me.

On startup there are two imap-login processes running
(login_processes_count is 2). When connecting with Sylpheed, one
additional imap process is running.

But when connecting with Mozilla (Seamonkey), I get three imap-login and
one imap process at minimum (Maximum number of server connections to
cache set to 1 in Mozilla). If the cached connections is set to 2, there
are four imap-login and two imap processes.

So it looks to me as the login processes don't get killed. Is this a
client issue (but how could it keep the login alive?), is this a known
bug in the older dovecot, or something unknown?

BTW, login_process_per_connection is default.

Regards,
Jürgen