[Dovecot] IMAP and Outlook XP Contacts

vmstech vmstech at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 19 04:15:16 EET 2006

Hi - My attempt to answer this is as much an attempt to gain clarity
before I head down this same path -  so am keen to be corrected here,
but...

1) Providing a contact list is, is NOT a feature of any mail serving
protocol, imap or pop (inspite what can  apparently be extracted from
courier with suitable wizardry and $)

2) It is a capability and legit use of an LDAP directory type server

3) This is how both ms exchange and open-Xchange and probably many other
collaboration/groupware servers essentially achieve this?

4) Using LDAP can also work _WITHOUT_ the whole groupware 'thing' in
between - if the client can do ldap speak

5) Outlook can do ldap speak with various degrees of effectiveness
depending on the version and the degree to which that version is
standards compliant - there are work arounds to get outlook speaking to
openLDAP correctly (I stumbled on to this as part of someone discussing
this
prob:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325314)

6)It should there for be possible outlook to get contacts from  openLDAP
-without purchasing any black magic, but probably with a little jigery
pokery

Thanks for any coments and hope this gives some direction for WLG
Glenn