[Dovecot] IMAP and Outlook XP Contacts

Sun Feb 19 23:25:21 EET 2006

Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> On 2006-02-18 23:09:11 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Just because this particular implementation is commercial doesn't mean
>> that an open source version couldn't be done. So, you are wrong - the
>> answer is not 'no', it is 'yes, it *can* be done, but apparently there
>> is no open source/free version at this time'.
>>
>> I only posted this as a response to your question about using imap to
>> store/retrieve contacts.
>>
>> And if it matters, I was as surprised as anyone when I read that
>> announcement.

> you asked about contacts via imap.

No, I didn't - someone else did. I posted that link in response to your
message saying it cannot be done via IMAP.

> that is definitly a "no".

Tell it to the Bynari people who have apparently done it using Courier,
as this post claimed. The link is broken right now, so apparently you
cannot go and read details at the moment.

> i am pretty good aware of exchange compatible groupware solutions. but
> that is beyond imap.

As someone else posted, you can store pretty much anything in IMAP. I
have seen other references to implementations that allowed the storing
of contacts on an IMAP server.

So, you are wrong - it CAN be done, but no one is saying it is some kind
of RFC implemented standard.

Charles