[Dovecot] dovecot memory consumption beta vs. old "stable" series

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Feb 21 02:09:21 EET 2006

Am Montag, 20. Februar 2006 18:44, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> I just tried testing this myself in a mailbox with around 10000 mails.
> I tried deleting everything, I tried deleting messages from here and
> there (sorted the mails based on size and deleted half of them), etc.
> At no point did the process's size grow more than a few hundred
> kilobytes..

That's strange... In this case I really like to know what I'm doing
differently...

My imap process *always* needs several megabytes, though I do not know how
much of it is mmaped indexes - it'll probably the majority of the memory
consumption displayed.

> So, how large is the mailbox you're deleting messages from (ie. how
> many messages do you leave there)?

IIRC: For example 17000 messages before, deleting 7000 in a row, leaving
10000 after the imap process has shut down.

> With mbox or maildir?

maildir

> What client are you using to delete them?

kMail

> Are you deleting the messages in sequential order?

Probably not, I sort by date in kmail, select a block covering about two
weeks of spams and hit "delete".

Can dovecot log the commands issued by the client? I read something about
a "rawlog"? As I'm currently using ssl only, etheral is useless as-is and
I'd have to reconfigure dovecot.

I'd like to log all IMAP commands and try a few things tomorrow (The
server machine is an old box and takes a while to process larger
requests, especially if they cause the imap process to consume 3 to 4
times more virtual memory than the box physically has... ;),
collecting /proc/PID/maps etc.

Greetings,

  Gunter