[Dovecot] '+' addesses and Foldered delivery

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Feb 21 09:44:44 EET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Brad wrote:
>
>> Before I start tearing my hair out .. I am using sendmail 8.13.5 with
>> the exact setting for the dovecot lda specified in the dovecot wiki.
>> Does the mailer definition for the lda ensure that it can understand
>> +'ed addressing for foldered delivery ?
>
> No, Dovecot-LDA doesn't currently support that. I don't know if it should by
> default. Wonder how Cyrus does that..
>
> Probably best way to handle it would be to have some option in Sieve script
> to specify if it's wanted or not. I don't really want to touch the Sieve part
> of the code though..

I think that there is more, a while ago I tinkered around with this, too:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/7896

There is one problem: How to get the information into Dovecot-LDA? Because
the real recipient is available (in sendmail anyway) via the LDA's command
line only, there has to be a command line switch.

Second: How to get the information into Sieve?
The real sender is not necessarily mentioned in TO or CC, hence you cannot
use the header or address conditions of Sieve.
I'm not 100% sure about it, but you cannot get the "Envelope recipients"
in sendmail, hence, one could hook into getenvelope() and abuse this
functionality.
Or Dovecot-LDA could add a pseudo header, e.g. real-recipient, or so.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser