[Dovecot] index file vs. memory

Gunter Ohrner Gunter at ohrner.net
Wed Feb 22 02:17:24 EET 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 21:29, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> Could you try running some of the imap commands manually to see where
> exactly it grows the process size?

Yes, I did.

> If none of those commands grow the memory usage, then answer these:

The process size did only grow to about 22 MB...

> Have you tried if it happens with only copying?

I just did, it also starts to eat mem...

> Also does it matter what mailbox you're copying the
> mails to? Mostly that your destination mailbox isn't something with
> millions of messages, right? :)

No, the destination box was completely empty before I started to copy
messages...

Tomorrow I'll switch of SSL and log the IMAP chatter between kMail and
dovecot. That's slowly getting ridiculous...

However, I fear kMail may generate enormous IMAP commands while copying /
deleting, as a selected block of messages in a sorted message list in
kMail probably is some more or less random set of message numbers, right?

Greetings,

  Gunter