[Dovecot] Dovecot as a smart IMAP proxy

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 23 18:42:35 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:37 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > Do you see a use for an IMAP proxy where the proxy would be able to
> > execute hooks which modify mail contents, such as transparent
> > encrypting/decrypting mails, or maybe some virus-filtering? It would
> > need at least some kind of IMAP command/reply parsing capabilities, so
> > it might be able to do all kinds of other things.
>
> Sounds interesting, but I'm MUCH more interested in full Shared Maildir
> support (complete with the ability to modify folder ACLs via normal IMAP
> clients like "Thunderbird)...

Well, unless you're interested enough to pay for me to do it, then it
doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

Some kind of ACL support is however going into CVS soon, but it's
missing IMAP ACL commands and shared mailbox handling. So it's basically
just about restricting access to mailboxes that you can already make
Dovecot see. And sure I'd like to see those features too, but I don't
have all that much free time.