[Dovecot] Dovecot username mapping

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Feb 23 20:14:31 EET 2006

Adam "Fuzzy" Kennedy wrote:
> When our users login to our current email system, they enter their
> username as "username at domain.com". I for the life of me cannot figure
> out how to make Dovecot take "username at domain.com" and know that the
> unix username is really "username-domain.com"

You really should be using a virtual domain configuration, unless you
have some other reason to give every user a unix account (like they are
also going to need shell access).  I don't know Postfix that well, but I
do know that there are multiple ways to do it (including MySQL support).
  A virtual domain is going to be far easier to manage than creating 4k
different accounts.

As for how to stitch username at domain.com => username-domain.com you
should be able to use

	default_mail_env = maildir:~%u-%d/Maildir

or whatever that points to their home directory.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock