[Dovecot] Restore of a message

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 23 21:53:28 EET 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 9:45 PM, Luigi Rosa wrote:

> Hello,
> if I want to restore from a previous backup a single message or a
> single folder, what is the correct procedure?
>
> Do I have to do it with Dovecot shut down?
>
> Does Dovecot recognize automagically the new message/folder?

Maildir or mbox? With mbox you can just append the message to the
box. With maildir it would be better to rename the filename, but
Dovecot will rename it for you also, except it will also log an error
message.

Folders can be restored without anything special.

Dovecot doesn't need to be shut down or anything, although if the
user is reading mails at the same time as you're restoring them, he
could temporarily see some problems. Although that's quite unlikely too.