[Dovecot] Dovecot username mapping

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri Feb 24 10:37:28 EET 2006

That's a bad idea. Consider what happens if you have user-bla at example.com
and user at bla-example.com.

Why do you use system users at all? The only good reason for this would be
the filesystem quota support. If you can live without that for a while
(dovecot will surely support quotas at some point in the future), you
should really use virtual users.
Otherwise, you'll have to insert an abstraction layer, so that you have
mailboxes like "m<customer-id>-<user-id>" and email-addresses pointing to
these mailboxes. From a technical point of view, this solution is better,
anyway. Don't know what "Virtualmin" is and if it supports such a thing,
though.