[Dovecot] dovecot --Err Plaintext authentication disabled

Marc Haber mh+dovecot at zugschlus.de
Sat Feb 25 18:12:50 EET 2006

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 05:06:48PM +0100, mickael.choisnard at free.fr wrote:
> Following my last posts, i succeed to connect pop3 in localhost but not in
> mydomain.org (with dovecot 0.99 it worked)
> I have this error :
>
> -ERR Plaintext authentication disabled.

That probably means that Plaintext authentication is disabled, sheesh.

Searching for "plaintext" in the default configuration gives this:
# Disable LOGIN command and all other plaintext authentications unless
# SSL/TLS is used (LOGINDISABLED capability). Note that 127.*.*.* and
# IPv6 ::1 addresses are considered secure, this setting has no effect if
# you connect from those addresses.
#disable_plaintext_auth = yes

Does this solve your problems?

Greetings