[Dovecot] dovecot-1.0-beta3 in production

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Feb 26 13:01:16 EET 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 17:22 +0100, Branko F. Gračnar wrote:
> dovecot.log.1.gz:Feb 24 16:05:21 elfstone dovecot: imap(user3 at domain.tld):
> Maildir /export/mail/domain.tld/user3 sync: UID inserted in the middle of
> mailbox (47681 > 47680, file = 1138960753.P9796Q0M642679.elfstone:2,T)

Well, this means that the file was lost, but then Dovecot saw it again
later.

> dovecot.log.1.gz:Feb 24 16:46:27 elfstone dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.tld):
> Maildir /export/mail/domain.tld/user1 sync: UID < next_uid (1 < 199, file =
> 1122973973.V809Id001aafc.elfstone,S=8889:2,RS)

Same problem.

> dovecot.log.1.gz:Feb 24 16:54:47 elfstone dovecot: imap(user5 at domain.tld):
> Corrupted index
> file /export/data/dovecot/domain.tld/user5/.Sent/dovecot.index:
> keywords_count larger than header size
> dovecot.log.1.gz:Feb 24 17:01:00 elfstone dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.tld):
> Corrupted transaction log
> file /export/data/dovecot/domain.tld/user1/.Sent/dovecot.index.log: Append
> with UID 1, but next_uid = 4850

These look almost like there's a problem with locking the indexes
properly..

> I have multi-domain setup with several hundred users, emails are delivered
> using dovecot-deliver LDA, dovecot indexes are outside mailboxes, indexes and
> mailboxes are on local filesystem (xfs). I'm using linux 2.6 on slackware
> platform.

Since the path contains /export, does it mean they're also exported to
NFS?

I haven't seen any of these problems reported for a while, so I'd guess
this has to be somehow specific to your system. One problem with Dovecot
LDA is that it reads the configuration file by itself, so it might be
possible that it reads for example the locking settings wrong.

Could you try running http://dovecot.org/tools/imaptest.c with some test
account and see if it can make your Dovecot break? And if not, try
sending mails to the test account with Dovecot LDA while running the
imaptest?