[Dovecot] Using dovecot auth with Postfix

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jan 1 04:00:02 EET 2006

On Saturday 2005-December-31 17:17, Kim Culhan wrote:
> Attempting to setup smtpd auth for Postfix using the Dovecot
> authorization unix socket.
>
> Some info is at: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

And did you first follow the #build_dovecot instructions?

> To enable operation when Postfix is chrooted, a method from the
> reference above is to locate the socket at:
> /var/spool/postfix/private/auth

And what is in your Postfix config? I followed the instructions more or
less exactly, and it works for me.

> To do this, I have this configuration in dovecot.conf:
>
> # listener sockets will be created by Dovecot's master process using
> the # settings given inside the auth section
> auth default_with_listener {

This is what I don't understand. My socket is defined in the "auth
default" section. I'm not clear about (and found nothing at the Wiki)
the use of other auth sections. I know they are separate authentication
processes, and it says this in my dovecot.conf comments:

"You can have multiple authentication processes. With plaintext
authentication the password is checked against each process, the first
one which succeeds is used. ..."

> Also, Dovecot will make /auth owned by root which Postfix
> considers a 'fatal' problem. Should it be setup to run as user
> Postfix ?

My socket, /var/spool/postfix/private/auth, is mode 0666 and owned by
root:root. SMTP AUTH works.

Sorry, I know this is a lame reply, but I've been an advocate of this
feature, so I hope to learn more about it. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header