[Dovecot] very slow imap opens in pine after moving maildirs to new drive

Dave Lugo dlugo at etherboy.com
Mon Jan 2 20:25:14 EET 2006

Dave Lugo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running dovecot-0.99.10 for the past several years, with
> virtually no problems.  Lately, I noticed that the filesystem holding my
> users' imap maildirs was getting close to full.  So... last night, I
> used tar to copy /var/spool/imap to a new drive (9G scsi, reiserfs) that
> I then mounted under /var/spool/imap (after moving the old dir aside).
>
> After the move, what would take pine a handful of seconds, with the load
> average barely breaking .40, now takes several minutes, with a load
> average spike to nearly 3.
>
> I must admit to being rather puzzled by this, as I would not have
> expected the move to result in worse performance.  Do I need to figure
> out what the index file names are, and delete those?  Any suggestions
> greatly appreciated - as even closing pine now takes nearly 5 minutes,
> whereas when dovecot talks to my old imap dir (I've tested this),
> closing the session takes no more than 10 seconds.
>
> server is Mandrake 9.1, 2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise, P4 2.6GHz, 1G RAM 9G
> U2W SCSI system disk, 9G U2W SCSI (and big*ss IDE drive for /users).  Each
> of the scsi drives is on its own aha-2940UW controller.
>
> Filesystem on old imap location (/var filesystem) is reiserfs, same as
> that on new dedicated disk.

tried:

   . rm'ing .imap.index*
       no improvement noted

   . putting both scsi disks on same controller
       no improvement noted

I'm about to try placing the maildirs on the IDE disk used for /users,
to see if that makes a difference.

FWIW, Thunderbird (even after I remove the .msf file for my inbox) still
opens MUCH faster than pine; less than a minute for the former, vs
nearly 5 minutes for the latter.

I'm getting rather more concerned, because if dovecot refuses to play
nice on all but the fs I originally saved the maildirs to, I'm going to
run out of space within days.