[Dovecot] POP3 only - why is cur/ growing?

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Thu Jan 5 20:06:31 EET 2006

There are at least a couple of mail clients that are configured to
leave mail on the server by default using POP3.  Mail.app in OS X is
one of them, and various versions of Eudora have been known to
default to this setting as well.

If there is mail in the cur folder in the maildir, either the POP3
client is configured to leave mail on the server, or you've got a
webmail client reading the mail either using IMAP or reading directly
from the maildirs (sqwebmail, for example).

I personally wish there was a way on the POP3 server to prohibit the
"Leave Mail on Server" behavior, because it's a real pain in the
ass.  This is why IMAP was built.  It's also one of the reasons we
are moving to dovecot, because courier has major problems with
duplicate emails when POP3 clients leave mail on the server.

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator