[Dovecot] How long to 1.0?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Jan 10 13:24:07 EET 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:46 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:25 AM +0100 Fredrik Tolf
>><fredrik at dolda2000.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm wondering how close Dovecot can be said to be to 1.0 "Final".
>>>

>>>From a developer's perspective, a better question is, "What's the roadmap?"
>>What milestones are still unmet before 1.0 can be "released"?
>>

>Mostly I just want to get bugs fixed. People still report some
>annoyingly difficult to reproduce bugs from time to time..

Timo,

For what it's worth, you are a perfectionist. Far more than most other
programmers. Most 1,0 versions of software aren't early as solid as your
current Alpha version. I'm not suggesting that you lower your standards
to everyone elses level but no one expects a 1.0 version to be perfect.
In comparison, think about how buggy the current versions of Firefox and
Thunderbird are. By your standatds they wouldn't even be up to Alpha
even today.

And - I can tell you that the Alpha label is definitely hurting you and
my recommendation as a person with marketing experience is do one or two
beta versions, call it done and then 1.0 and then start fixing it. If
you do that and you get a lot more people on board then other people
will help you track down your bugs.

I don't know what other people think, if we can do a quick poll here,
but comparing the current Alpha 5 to other 1.0 version of software, I
think Dovecot is way more solid than most 1.0 versions. In fact, I'd
give it a 1.3 if it were me. (Hope this makes sense to everyone.)