[Dovecot] dovecot-lda: problems compiling

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Thu Jan 12 00:22:23 EET 2006

My symptom was exactly the same as reported - sed hung at the
configure stage of dovecot-lda.

I did lots of things to try to fix it. Almost none were successful. I
was on the correct path when I deleted all of the downloaded cvs
files and started from scratch with the 'co' cvs download.

There was a diagnostic mentioning the AM_ICONV problem in the initial
run of autogen against the dovecot-lda files. This I had ignored
previously, because it did not reappear on repeating the autogen
step. I assume that proceeding without curing the AM_ICONV resulted
in the hung sed at the configure step.

I googled around and found (will furnish reference..) that the
AM_ICONV message was related to the missing gettext.

After installing the gettext (up2date gettext), the AM_ICONV
diagnostic did not appear. There was another diagnostic message
saying that there was no configure.in.am (or something like that).
This file was in the directory after the autogen (but was not there
in the initial 'co' cvs download). I repeated the autogen step and it
completed with no diagnostic.

At this point, the configure also went through without the sed hang.

I can only conclude, based on my user experience, that the sed hang
was related to the missing gettext package. Perhaps sed was trying to
read from a socket that was supplied by the missing gettext - and hung.

Once I was able to configure and make dovecot-lda, I went on to other
things (like getting a bigger disk matching another big disk on that
system and figuring out how to RAID the two - a continuing story, and
one that has higher priority than getting dovecot-lda running. I am
at 90% full on a 4GB disk..)

I am running a 32 bit old Pentium on my mail system. The sed hang
also occurred on my dual Xeon system running Fedora4.smp.

Bob Gustafson