[Dovecot] Plain password not authenticating

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 13:26:33 EET 2006

On Friday 13 Jan 2006 11:10, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Which version of Dovecot are you using?
>
> Looking back at your original post, it seems you may actually be
> using Dovecot 0.99.xx, not 1.0 as you said, after all!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Sorry - somewhere, when I first started, I read 1.0, but you are quite
correct.  It is actually 0.99.14.

> Certainly
> "auth_userdb = passwd-file  /etc/imap.passwd" is 0.99.xx syntax, and
> "mechanisms" isn't valid, it's "auth_mechanisms" etc.
>
> In earlier versions of 1.0, it was "userdb = passwd-file
> /etc/imap.passwd" and in the latest versions (Dovecot-1.0-alpha5) it
> is as I said in my first reply.
>
> Dovecot-1.0-alpha5 probably has fewer bugs than 0.99.x despite the
> name, so I'd strongly recommend upgrading. Timo's promised us a
> "beta1" version in the next few days which will have only a few minor
> changes from alpha5.

I'll do that as soon as I can, but for now I really need to get this
working.

> Assuming you are using 0.99.x, what do you have as "auth_user"?

root

> If
> it's not root, does it have permissions to read /etc/imap.passwd? Do
> you have "disable_plaintext_auth" set to "no" (if it's "yes" then it
> won't allow you to login unless you're using TLS or SSL).

It's set to 'no'

OK - I've changed everything to auth_whatever, but now it's not happy
with 'args'.  Is that different as well?

Anne